Sunday, December 10, 2006

Advent Stirs

I watched The Nativity today. I enjoyed the movie, but I did find the music distracting. Yet, it is amazing the number of songs written for this event. It seems that every year I feel as though I've missed singing one of my favorite carols during the season. We did sing What Child is This? at church today which was nice. The second verse makes me cry starting with "the silent word is pleading". I love how song can express the deep treasure of Christmas. There are so many of them that can bring me to tears, expressing something I do not focus on daily, but without which I would not want to face each day.

O Holy Night -- And in his name all oppression shall cease.
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel -- that mourns in lonely exile until the Son of God appear
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day --God is not dead nor doth he sleep.
We Three Kings --Guide us to thy perfect light
Joy to the World -- No more let sins and sorrows grow... He comes to make his blessing flow far as the curse is found. (I love every word of this one).

P.S. I did take my links from cyberhymnal which plays the song in that computery tone (which probably has some technical name, so you might want to turn down the volume if that annoys you. However, they do a good job listing the complete verses).
I'm certain there are many more that I could cite as example, but you get the idea. What lines have I omitted?

10 comments:

mllr said...

Hark the Herald Angels Sing:

Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die

mllr said...

O Come All Ye Faithful:

Word of the Father,
Now in flesh appearing

mllr said...

O Little Town of Bethlehem:

O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today

linda jean said...

mllr-- I had just thought of the "Hark" words... Jesus is pretty cool.

Shauna said...

It really is such a beautiful verse:

Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


I checked out Messiah: The Wordbook for the Oratorio from the library, and it's worth a look. (It's also worth seeing Jemma shake her booty to Handel's Messiah when I play the MP3 of the Hallelujah Chorus.)

mllr said...

Did you read that "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" was written during the civil war? It enlightens these words:

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;...

linda jean said...

Yeah, the words were written by Longfellow. It is interesting to know the historical context...

Shauna said...

Whatever you do, don't listen to this version of O Holy Night. At least not while you're drinking coffee. Especially the big finale...

linda jean said...

Thanks Shauna, that puts xmas in perspective ;)
Was that a special at your church last week because I think I've heard him before. (you were right about the coffee).

mllr said...

I wish I could hear all of Mr Tanners version as he sings softly to himself while sorting through the clothes