Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Memory lapses

Do you ever have a hard time remembering who it was that you had a particular conversation with? Like I've been thinking about this conversation about Taylor Swift that I had over a month ago. Who in the world would have discussed this with me? I finally remembered. Then, I saw a wasp and had to rack my brain to figure out who it was that I conversed with about wasp versus bee stings. Again problem solved, but I hate those moments of memory without context.

Add this problem to all of that: I have a lot of conversations in my mind with all sorts of people. Sometimes I can't really remembered what has actually been said and what has only been said in my mind.

Then there are the pretend events that occur. Like a couple of weeks ago, I slowed down on the highway to turn left onto the blacktop when my car was attacked by a band of gypsies (no offense to real gypsies, who have never to my knowledge committed any sort of crimes along highway 83). They sort of looted my car there on the highway. Then I tell someone about it and I remember to add that it happened in my mind. But later, I might forget that part and disparage the reputation of a beloved highway and a people group that don't even live in the area.

Then there are the dreams. Like the one where that kid from creative writing class tells me about how one of my friends is a crazy drug mule on the border now. Sometimes it feels like the dream really happened and I want to talk about it, but I don't want to talk to a real person about it because I don't want to call someone a drug mule just because I had a dream about it. So I have a fake conversation with a person who is real, but isn't actually present. Then a few weeks later I forget that I only pretended to have a conversation with this person so I mention the drug mule thing without thinking. Now, I've spread a crazy rumor.

Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with these types of situations?

5 comments:

mllr said...

I am confused how the gypsies started looting your car

linda jean said...

I had to come to a complete stop before I turned left because of the oncoming traffic. They came out of the west ditch.

malh said...

If traffic is such that you must come to a complete stop on Highway 83, perhaps you can just drive another mile and turn there. I think we will implement such precautions ourselves when driving on 83.

linda jean said...

So many problems with that malh. What about the County Line Gypsies? They are reknown for jumping and boarding moving cars.

jmlo said...

My suggestion is--an interactive diary that you can have conversations with--which would also be able to tell you if something is a dream or not. You should consult it often--especially prior to any event where conversation is involved--so as to not start rumors that are simply dreams you have had. An interactive diary you could carry with you that could listen to your thoughts before you speak would be most helpful--it could whisper gently in your ear--"no--that was only a dream". If the diary was also able to record the conversations--later you could review them when you wonder--who did I talk to about "memory lapses".