Monday, May 19, 2008

The right temperature.

It's still 84 degrees in my house. Outside, according to my indoor/outdoor thermometer (thanks Santa), it's 69 degrees. I glow with a light perspiration of late evening. The outdoor thermometer compels me to resist the air conditioning. I am. I was cold all day except for my walks up and down the block to and from hearings. I've been laying on my couch reading this evening with the front door open. The languid feeling of sweat without motion gives me cause to be still. Sometimes there are thoughts, but sometimes my mind is empty. It's even empty of preparation for what should be done next. Is there no value in an empty mind? Isn't it a little easier to read when a mind is quiet.

My fan is turned backward in the window sucking hot air out of the house, while I have the door on the other side of the house open. The outside will replace the inside. It's one of those activities I forget about until I am doing it and I remember all of those times that I've done it before. It makes it seem like I've lived a long time and no time at all because years and years ago seem just like today.

Yes, I'm thankful for my air conditioning. But I think I'm more thankful for seasons. Anyway, it's a nice chance to glow.

4 comments:

lobiwan said...

Well that's lovely.

mllr said...

You make sweat sound so wonderful...it does bring back lovely memories of laying in my room(not Jeanette's) upstairs reading in the summer...sweltering..beads of sweat constantly forming...what a joy not to have A/C

malh said...

Nobody would stand for that in our house. It is nice to know that the air conditioning resistance movement is alive and well without me.

Daisy said...

such a very nice description ... memories