Monday, March 26, 2007

Gluing things down


I was trying to explain my compulsive collage creations to a friend last night and I thought that I ought to just post one because they don't really make sense. I wouldn't call them works of art, merely a tactile outlet. This one consists mainly of junk mail and trash that I was throwing away plus a couple of pieces from my stash of things previously cut from magazines. I completed it while watching Eternal Sunshine (etc). Mindless ripping and gluing are pleasant.
In other news, I recently read a book which was purchased on a whim at an outing to Target (by the way, did you know that some couples go to Target on Saturday nights... it is a sad state of affairs where I'm living): The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. It's a children's novella with themes which won't be comprehended by children and which are aimed at adults, particularly me at this moment in my life, but a nice story for the tykes nonetheless. It's about a toy rabbit, and in some ways the opposite of The Velveteen Rabbit. It doesn't explain the pervasive use of rabbit's in children's literature. I, of course, was a teddy bear kind of child, but I do remember one lop eared toy rabbit and a rabbit poster. My teddy bear would never have behaved like Edward Tulane, though he did have a miraculous journey to Winfield one time. Once again, thank you to my brother Chris for rescuing him from the clutches of hotel staff.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

You should look into doing altered books as a hobby. They're sort of like a collage/scrapbook/journal made inside of or with pages from an old book.

I couldn't stop crying after I watched Eternal Sunshine. I think everyone else thought I was crazy, but it just really got to me for some reason.

I'll have to add Kate DiCamillo to our read-aloud list. I liked The Tale of Despereaux but haven't read her others yet.

mllr said...

All of this reminds me of Jo, who also into collages, altered books and Eternal Sunshine.

linda jean said...

mllr--Except that Jo is gifted in visual arts.

shauna-- i can't even remember my first viewing of the movie... there's something forgiving in the idea that you and a particular person will fall for eachother because you just will and erasing what happened doesn't change that.