Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Just a couple of things.

I've been thinking about Madeline L'Engle since she recently passed away. I would love to say something fitting, but the things I want to say seem too personal. I began reading all of her novels from the library (up the stairs on 7th Street) when I was in junior high. I am rereading Camilla to mark the occasion and I am struck by how deeply connected I feel. I wasn't sure if I would feel it, now that I'm not in junior high, but it's still there.

I also finished reading Death Comes for the Archbishop. Yes, I liked it. It was slow and not plot-driven, but to the extent that reading should be a peaceful endeavor, it was. Cather's landscapes are superb.

In unrelated clothing news, my grease-stained skirt was successfully rescued with a product under my sink called "greased lightning". I do not recall buying it, but it was there when I needed it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am currently reading through all my L'engle's as well..
Today I finished An Acceptable Time..
Finished with her Time/Space quartet plus one.. I too am moving to Camilla.
I can't wait to see you Friday.

Shauna said...

There's a lot of stuff about L'Engle this week at Semicolon.

Anonymous said...

i figured i would move to the time/space trilogy later... i was in need of some non-action and camilla is such an observer of what's happening more than a participant. she becomes more of a party to her own life, but still most of her living is done internally...
thanks for the link shauna. i so wanted to grow up to be madeline, that i think i'm a little sad that i grew up to be linda jean instead, (an inevitable result).

Shauna said...

I'm going to add Camilla to my list, although I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to read it because people keep sending me free books in the mail. A nice dilemma for sure.

linda jean said...

I just finished it. Very much feeling like a 15 year old now.

jmlo said...

I am saddened that L'engle's voice is now silent in this world. Thank God she left such lovely and compelling works which will continue to speak. Eric and I finished reading "A Wrinkle in Time" on our little vacation this week.