Saturday, February 23, 2008

Unrelated:

I'd like to boycott Old Navy because the girls in the commercials are too skinny, but I feel guilty because maybe they were just born that skinny and who am I to judge whether or not that type of body is beautiful or not.

I'm taking a creative writing class. I had forgotten all about writer's block. I am trying to figure out when I do my best writing and it seems as though it's all completely random. The only pattern I've found is that I write most easily when I'm in my office working on something really important that needs to be finished within the next hour. At that point my pen and my mind flow freely about topics wholly unrelated to work. Perhaps if I hung a poster of wild dogs chasing me near my computer it would help.

Have you ever been chased by wild dogs? I hate it. I hate thinking about riding my bicycle and having to kick them away with my feet as I try to pedal as fast as I can.

When I looked up boycotts of Old Navy on the internet most people talked about the outrage of not being wished "Merry Christmas". WWJD? He'd refuse to shop there because they forgot his birthday. I think he might ask their models to come and sup with him too-- a big meal.

In my dream life I am growing my own food and sewing my own clothes. My dream life seems foolish. Why is that? Except for meat. I'll visit the butcher for meat. I wonder how much produce I would have if I planted my yard to vegetables instead of grass. I'd like to grow some flowers too. I barely have time to do what I'm doing let alone raising produce to support myself. Wait...in my dream life I don't have a real job.

If a dream seems foolish is it really your dream?

Fortunately, I am hours from an Old Navy. My yard is too small to grow enough food to sustain me. Even if I did grow my own food I don't really cook. I haven't sewn an article of clothing since I was 12 for 4-H and I think I got a red ribbon for it at the fair. I did bake some cookies that got a purple at the local fair and at the state fair. I'm sad that I thought about wild dogs.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This was wonderful. I'm might start 'writing again' again. I do so like it. Those dogs on the way to Alsops.. SCARY! Take a pic of them.

Unknown said...

I'm going to fix this for you.. although I wrote it for Daniel who is in Slovenia..

i love you buddy and right now i'm wishing good dreams upon you.
because 4:30am seems like a perfect time for craziness to erupt in the dreamworld that will affect how we live in the real world. a dream to make us love more people. make us live the day a little longer. make us smile more often. make us crazy with wonder at the possibilities we face every day, or you face when you see the alps at morning light, or I face when I remember the day is new and that tomorrow doesn't have to exist when today is afresh.
[Linda] live big even while you are quietly dreaming now. Seek God in little moments of serenity you find in the day. Write a verse on a piece of paper. One that helped you once when you were in need of help. Write it down, and lose it for someone else to find. Maybe it will be thrown away, or destroyed. But there is also this wondrous chance that someone who needed it as much as you once did will stumble upon it.
I love that you are sleeping right now. I feel like I'm with you praying over you right this minute. It's weird maybe.. but regardless whether I was there or not you wouldn't know. because sleeping at 4:30 in the morning in a different [state] is where you are. Have a wonderful day when you wake up!

jmlo said...

What are you doing up late thinking about wild dogs? Yes--I too hate being chased by wild dogs--what I hate more than that when one of them bites you and that happened to me twice. Don't worry unless you decide to move to a place where there are no dog catchers there will be no wild dogs chasing you besides which when was the last time you were on your bike? Go ahead and dream--some day when you don't have a real job and own property for a garden I am sure you will have time to perfect sewing and cooking. :)

linda jean said...

jo... those dogs would be good if i could stay there long enough to get a picture without running away. I would change the Alps to something like "feedlot" (you might want to play with that a little).
jmlo-- you know that I ate late so everything was messed up with my internal clock. I think the last time I rode my bike was last fall sometime. I do think about those dogs everytime I ride a bike though.

mllr said...

Maybe you are growing your own food and sewing your own clothes because you forgot about the cheerios box.

PS don't quit riding your bike because of wild dogs, that seldom happens.

linda jean said...

mllr-- no. if i had the cereal box of cash i would have enough money to quit work and then have time to grow my own food and make my own clothes.

I know the dog thing seldom happens, but once it does it gets into your mind. although jmlo overcame it and her experience was much worse. i just have a skittish personality.

Ben said...

remember, one kansas farmer feeds (according to recent billboards along I-70) 7643 people, and you

no need for you to feed yourself

Ben said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voyage_of_the_Dawn_Treader

there is a difference between your daydreams and your nightdreams, as the book so ably reminds us

reepicheep, by the way, is not a parody of anyone, he is simply the bravest creature that ever was, and his portrayal as a comic character in screen adaptations is a crime against bravery

linda jean said...

b- I appreciate the farmer feeding me, but it would be nice if he cooked for me too. I guess one of them makes really good biscuits and gravy and another whipped up some mac-n-cheese last time I was at his house.
Oddly, I left that book after I read it with a little girl on the island where I met up with the wild dogs.

Ranger said...

Was I the only one who was afraid of killers whales at the YMCA pool? I don't have the ame fears I used to, but the ones I had were odd. What about an elephant upstairs, or a mummy in the freezer room. THe wild dogs reminded me of such.
Actually, now that I think of it, LINDA, for some strange reason I have a fear of rocks being thrown at me while I ride a bike, and falling down, tearing my toe nail...hmmmm

linda jean said...

I am your antagonist, silly Ranger.