Saturday, April 15, 2006

April is the cruelest month

I guess I've been mixing memory with desire too much-- how can you help it when you are alone in the spring? Eliot knows what he's talking about. The lilacs are blooming in my yard and I've spent the morning picking up dead things so that the living things can breathe. And it's Holy Saturday... A day of lost hope and wonder. I guess it's a perfect day to remove the dead in hopes that it will be replaced with life. I must compromise my beliefs and water my lawn today.
My church had it's first ever Good Friday service. I think they were a little leary about focusing too much on death and what happened on Friday got a little lost. Maybe it's the fear of appearing too Catholic, or maybe it's me missing Catholicism, but the weight of what Christ took upon himself on our behalf was lost. Other than that it was a great service-- the music was fabulous. The Pope's Good Friday message (according to the articles I read) focused on our world being obsessed with glamorizing sin and taking the place of God. It seems we are so focused on being forgiven that we fail to ask for forgiveness.

"Who is the third who walks always beside you?"

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Our church did an original interactive multimedia performance with music, actors, dancers (I'm getting used to them), and even a painter. We were each given a piece of wood to symbolize the part of the cross that should have been ours, which when we went forward to take communion we exchanged for a smooth stone to represent the stone that was rolled away. It was different but very moving and vivid. And some of the songs were old hymns, which just can't be matched by most contemporary worship music.

linda jean said...

Wow. That sounds like a great service! I'm a sucker for symbolism.