Friday, April 28, 2006

Whining about Work

I'm so tired of the exclusionary rule. I had a long, long pre-trial hearing today about whether or not drug evidence could come in during a trial. If not, there is no more case. After that hearing, I don't care. There is something nice about drug cases, and not emotionally caring about the outcome. It makes my job less stressful and that is the only way for me to remain a productive member of the work force. I have been working on outlining the whole 4th amendment thing and the exclusionary rule for a presentation to law enforcement in May. So this week has just been all about getting search issues embedded in my brain. I looked at some law school outlines on-line and believe it or not I think I would get an A in criminal procedure if I took the final again. I got snippy with the defense attorney, but I don't think she understood how rude it is to get a motion the day before a hearing. She also gave me a memorandum in favor of the motion to suppress. In my graciousness, I had mentioned some issues that I thought would come out during pre-trial and the memo was just a response to our phone call. The question is whether it is poor practice for me to say things out loud when everyone else thinks their arguments should be these enormous secrets. I suppose I'll never change about that issue, but that memo was irritating. It means I have to write a memo. We could have just orally argued the whole stupid thing in court, but no, let's write it down. Legal writing is such a joy-- Ahh, the tedium of writing down rules, citations, and arguments without being funny. Beyond work and perhaps because of work I am feeling like a social leper with no hope of ever leaving the colony. Mentioning leprosy makes me feel bad about feeling bad.

1 comment:

jmlo said...

I understood what you were talking about. A memo at the last minute must mean the attorney does not like to argue orally and is getting paid well for each word he or she writes. You however get paid the same whether you write a memo or not. As a taxpayer I appreciate your memo writing. :)