Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Draft: A User's Guide

I am currently working to develop a user's guide for linda jean. These are guidelines so that perhaps my users will be able to get full enjoyment out of their time with linda jean. I will probably be revising this and will gladly accept any suggestions and requests for clarification:

1. I don't like to argue. If we are arguing I am unhappy. I won't argue about closely held beliefs and it is senseless to argue with me about loosely held beliefs or thoughts I'm expressing. I talk to figure things out not because I've figured things out.
2. I sometimes defend other people's beliefs whether or not I personally believe them. I strongly believe that everyone should be able to have their own point of view and if you disagree with someone you ought to at least try to understand where it is they are coming from.
3. I think that you don't like me. I know you do, but I am insecure. It is a fault that I have accepted will be a lifelong struggle. I am working on it.
4. I want to be cool and I despise that. There is no honor in being cool, but I really like being cool. Even if I think you're cool, it doesn't mean that I respect you.
5. I hate it when people tell me things about myself. I know it's just part of life, but I wish people would at least pretend to want to get information from me. You can ask me about topics if you want to verify the information, but please don't say, "so I hear you're having a rough weekend", or "so I hear you're flying to Paris." I would be much more comfortable if you asked me about my travel plans or asked me how my weekend was going. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable request, I'm just saying that if you want instructions on how to get the most out of your linda jean, it would help.
6. I'll probably never tell you what I think unless you ask directly and even if you do ask I might not tell you, but I won't lie. I really appreciate when people notice that I haven't voiced an opinion instead of assuming they know my opinion based upon my silence.

That's all for now. Look for revisions in the future and let me know if you are interested in instructions for a particular topic.

7 comments:

malh said...

I think you are cool. And Kathryn thinks your the bomb. We both have very strong opinions about it.

linda jean said...

thanks. i feel a little it whiny, but maybe if folks understood me a little bit better I would be less whiny.

mllr said...

I think you are super cool in a respectful sort of way. Sorry about 1 and 2!

linda jean said...

No problem. I'm just feeling misunderstood lately. Thanks

Ben said...

lately my linda has been jamming up, is there some aftermarket tool or feature that will keep my linda running smooth and, preferably, care free?

linda jean said...

Without bringing her into the shop I would suggest leaving your lind jean alone in a room for a good cry. It's usually unexpressed emotions that causes the jamming. If that doesn't work, you might get her some positive feedback.

Jenny said...

Somehow I didn't have you on my Google reader, and I had missed months of your blog entries! So it was delightful to come and read them all, finally. This one was my favorite, so I'm leaving this comment here.

I also tend to think people don't like me until proven otherwise. Betsy once told me she assumes everyone likes her, because why would they not? I found that mystifying, but wonderful for her.