Sunday, June 18, 2006

K Demon Laughs at Time


(This is my first attempt to add a picture to the blog). I went exploring in Finney County today in search of a vague memory from junior high and a field trip where we stopped to look at a headstone with a laughing demon. This headstone appears at the head of a circle of 4 other stones. The others have names on them apparently of people who died on the Civilian Conservation Corps project which is to the southwest of this site. It's a dam with limestone rock and a "lake" which rarely, if ever, fills with water. The missing part of this stone says "to those who served camp kinney". If anyone has any alternate descriptions for the head on top of the marker I would be happy to hear about them. Although, the head seems strangely appropriate, an alternative explanation might be more comforting.

I was thinking with wonder later about the joy of discovery. Pondering how many other people had discovered this spot and how many people had known about it all along. It reminded me in a strange way of going to New York City. There are so many people who live there, and there are so many times that I've seen the places in movies and TV. Yet, the act of going there myself and riding the subway, seeing the Metropolitan Museum of Art, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, created a newness for those places that existed only for me and only in that moment. In some ways every moment is different even if you're doing the exact same thing with a 20 year span of time between the two visits.

9 comments:

Shauna said...

I decided we're going to do a little KS exploring today on the way home. I found a driving tour by St. Francis that goes through the Arikaree Breaks. Isabelle wants us to explore the various parks and playgrounds in the little towns between here and home.

linda jean said...

I've never been to the breaks. Someday I'll get there

mllr said...

The demon head is just creepy, you need to do some research on why

linda jean said...

I've been thinking of researching it. I guess I'd start of the museum and go from there.

linda jean said...

strike of relpace with at

jmlo said...

Whatever happened to Mr. Clark?

linda jean said...

I think he's on the historical society and I saw him from afar at the Sampler Festival. He still teaches because some of the jr highers in middle school still complain about him

linda jean said...

I'm having problems commenting properly! the jr highers in youth group still complain about him.

mllr said...

The laughing demon head also looks like one of those evil genie in the bottle guys that have gleefully escaped