Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lacking the usual rah-rah

I was in Wichita Monday and Tuesday for conference. Skipping out on the Tuesday afternoon session yielded a much clearer mind and a better view about returning to work. Lunch and shoe shopping with my sister seemed far more important than the appellate court update (I received the handout and will be able to read it without the droning voices). This year's conference lacked a lot of the usual "rah-rah" of the previous conferences. Someone may have realized that no one is fooled: we are a boring lot, and that's why we are in this profession.

Driving there and back again wasn't too bad. The trip is still fairly short. The trip home began with Daniel Amos, followed by Bob Dylan. Groove Armada was playing as I turned off the highway to search out a church on the NRHP. I switched to Brennen Leigh before I stopped at the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Windthorst which is directly east of Wright, Kansas and definitely in SW Kansas. I felt like a real Kansas Explorer. I will have to go back when I have more time. We usually think of the great Catholic Churches being in NW Kansas, but I thought this one was on par with them. It was red brick, so it looked different, but the steeple could be seen for miles rising from the plain. The stained glass was amazing and came from Munich, Germany. As always, I was proud of my German Catholic heritage and a little sad to not still be a part of that church. Alas, I do not have a camera to share this site with you, but my Kansas Explorers Guide was great fun to have in my passenger seat, and I would recommend it to you on your next cross state trip or even across county.

I saw a lot of combines and too many windmills to count, but I knew I was getting close to home when I really saw the windmills turning in the wind.

No comments: