Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Listless

I've been working on lists lately in preparation for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Like on Saturday:

  1. Pick up cake
  2. pick up flowers
  3. check on reception set-up
  4. buy new shoes

Also, when feeling a great deal of stress avoid:

  1. Calvinism
  2. Kansas Board of Education
  3. Traffic Court
  4. Wal-Mart

I've discovered a new stress symptom. It's the last one on a list that I haven't added to since law school:

  1. sour stomach
  2. back acne
  3. neck acne
  4. scalp acne
  5. sleeplessness
  6. counting your steps (seriously I've taken a little over 5000 steps today, 5320. Did I buy a pedometer? No I've just started counting for fun.)

The original life long list of men never to date (not that I've had the opportunity to exclude anyone lately):

  1. jayhawks
  2. vegetarians
  3. luxury sedan owners
  4. non-voters
  5. atheists

Finally next week:

  1. Relax
  2. be happy
  3. enjoy your family

6 comments:

mllr said...

I really don't know how Calvinists can cope with the idea that everything is already decided, on the other hand,I guess their choices are fairly meaningless so they probably don't need to stress much

linda jean said...

yeah, i accidentally read something about calvinists witnessing and how much freedom they have because salvation is already a decided thing and they are just being obedient. I guess I'm wondering if they've never loved someone who isn't a christian. like i said though, i'm avoiding the topic because it agitates me.

Shauna said...

I've had many discussions with 5-Point Calvinists as well as Arminians who have very well thought-out and informed reasons for what they believe, so I kind of like discussing these issues although it's very easy for misunderstandings and misrepresentations to occur. This can of worms has been opened in our Bible study before as well, and I still struggle with how much is already predetermined by God, how much influence we humans (as opposed to the Holy Spirit) really have in leading anyone to Christ, and to what extent our individual choices have on where we end up in life. The Bible seems to support both the idea of predestination and the idea that we have free will, although it's not exactly clear how it all works and therein lies the problem.

linda jean said...

maybe i was predestined to not believe in predestination. :)

mllr said...

God is just=everyone has a choice...He can't help but know the choices we will make=He is God

Shauna said...

How did the big celebration go?

P.S. I'm not a Calvinist either, by the way!