Monday, September 25, 2006

A group of lawyers get sick at a party...

After a bout with some sort of food poisoning, I've survived today and now am only slightly queasy. Many attorneys in town were sick after the county bar's barbeque this weekend. I can't help but think that there is some sort of joke in there, but I'm too close to the situation to come up with one being both a lawyer and a victim of food poisoning.
So I spent the day at home and read a little bit from the novel I am Charlotte Simmons (I am not recommending the book to anyone since it is pretty offensive, but it is a fascinating topic and has so much to say about our culture). After that I felt inclined to pick up Kierkegaard after taking a long rest from his writings. His distinctions are really interesting, but I'm never quite certain that I agree with his assessment as to the impacts of his hair-splitting observations. (Jesus was God-man or Jesus was a man and was God and the contradiction is what makes his life a sign. It all goes back to living your life as a contemporary with Christ...). That said it's pretty fun to have to think on that level and engage my mind in that way.
In an unrelated matter, I found a link for Jim. It plays the tune for many, many hymns and may come in handy if we ever decide to have an evening of hymn singing again.

6 comments:

mllr said...

A big thumbs up to the hymn websie...I love the autoplay feature!

mllr said...

Not just that the art,history and scripture references are wonderful

malh said...

I can't wait for the next sing-a-long, especially since I missed the last one.

malh said...

P.S. Will anyone be sued?

linda jean said...

Did they actually have the hymn sing along without us? I never thought to ask.
No one will get sued, but we'll all be avoiding potato salad in the future.

malh said...

Finney said that the husband and children skipped the sing-a-long, which I personally think is deplorable but typical as I am the only one who adores hymn sing-a-longs.