Thursday, November 09, 2006

Jedediah Smith

As many of you are aware, I am in love with the redwood forest. Which is sort of like real romantic love because I say silly things like "I never thought I could feel this way about a forest" and "I never saw myself loving a forest because all of the other forests have disappointed me." When I visit Jeanette we go to the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in Northern California. (The name (alas) makes me think of the Simpsons. ) As with all of my journeys to the Redwoods I discuss the visit a Judge here because he is also a fan. During our most recent "Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park" conversation, he disclosed some very interesting information about Jedediah, the forest's namesake. He actually passed away in Grant County and there is an historical marker at the side of the road. It sounds like a good Explorer Extra that I'll have to try.

5 comments:

lobiwan said...

Hmmm...That means all three of the cool places to visit "over there" have strong Kansas ties.

mllr said...

It is interesting that us Kansas girls feel such a deep love and kinship to the Redwoods...who knew a forest could be so magical

linda jean said...

Maybe I'm tired lobiwan, but will you list the 3 things to visit...redwoods, crater lake and jmlo?

malh said...

I love the Redwoods too, but I must put in a plug for SE Kansas. We just got back from Galena. We stopped off at Fall River Lake because it was only a few miles off the highway. It was full of wonderful star-gazing rocks, upon which we did not star-gaze, but watched the lake as the sunset cast a pink hue over the water. BTW, one of my favorite things to visit is the ocean...maybe the fact that NW Kansas is famous for its(') fish fossils??

Unknown said...

ps. i've been updating and there's a must see video on right now of the drews.