Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tilt-a-tumbling tumbleweed

Last night I think I ran over no less than 50 tumbleweeds on my way to and from the farm. It was hard during the daylight not to be distracted by the ones in the sandhills breaking free of the sagebrush and fence. The night drive was bad in a different way because there were critter-like bodies darting out in front me the whole drive home. Thank God deer don't role or there would have been no way to tell the difference. It would be kind of funny if ferrets climbed into the inside of the tumbleweed for a thrill ride. (Yes, supposedly ferrets aren't found in my county, but I saw a dead one last year near the county line, which isn't exactly evidence that they live in my county, but it does create the inference that there was one living recently). Maybe field mice would have an easier go of it. Tumbleweeds are the tilt-a-whirl at the rodent carnival. It explains how the tumbleweeds hang on to the fence and then seem to rock back and forth until they break free. The mice are on the inside of the tumbleweed and create the rocking motion with their weight which eventually rocks the tumbleweed off of the fence and into the open spaces of the highway where all the parties involved may or may not get hit by my car.

Blogger Extra

7 comments:

Shauna said...

And perhaps climb inside your car to go on a road trip.

Ben said...

how do you expect them to win their little biker jackets if they don't cheat death once in awhile...

linda jean said...

I'm imagining both the tumbleweeds in biker jackets and the rodents. I'm in such a good mood.

Anonymous said...

When my aunt taught school in Florida the kids didn't believe her that tumbleweeds were real. They thought they were just made up in movies.

Regarding your link, I saw a skunk at the Fun Center one night. On another note I almost caught a salamander in the boat pool at the Fun Center.

mllr said...

I will have to rethink running into thistles now that I know that there is life involved

linda jean said...

...has anyone seen the funky skunk in real life because I've only seen the regularly striped ones.

Shauna said...

I saw a clip on TV today about this tumbleweed.