Monday, October 08, 2007

More fortunate than usual

Today I received two fortunes in my fortune cookie. One said "Take no risks with your reputation". The second said "Take that chance you've been considering". They seem to be contradictory unless you assume chances can in no way damage your reputation. I suppose it's possible. When I arrived home I had another fortune sticking to the bottom of my shoe. It was partial, but it seems rather important since it went to all of the trouble of sticking to me like a sandbur wanting to find a spot to sprout. "[rip]month/ [rip] is shining". It makes less sense, but probably the most apt to occur. Any advice is welcome regarding this muddling of advice and fortunes. Or I could ignore it all, smile and continue.

8 comments:

Susan said...

I live my life by fortune cookies. You may now make a judgment as to the success or failure of my life and decide whether or not this is good or bad advice.

But if a fortune is sticking to your shoe- that's significant.

linda jean said...

I am trying to emulate you, so I guess I'll take the cookie's advice. It does seem important that a fortune followed me home.

malh said...

I think you ought to cast lots over the first two. The last--if it is really like a sandbur, burn it.

the quammunists said...

I don't think the first two fortunes contradict in the least. It all depends on the reputation you don't want to risk. Your reputation of being brilliant and creative for example could be furthered by taking that chance. (What chance have you been considering, hmm?) Make the month shine!

linda jean said...

malh-- I can't find my lots. Can I borrow yours?

linda jean said...

quams-- thanks. i decided to wear glittery eyeshadow this month.

malh said...

Kathryn would be proud(of the eye shadow). I thought there was a web site you could go to to cast lots.

jmlo said...

link to lark news with lot caster: http://www.larknews.com/october_2007/index.php
Hope this helps.