Sunday, October 28, 2007

Shhh

Silence is sneaky. I drove into town from the farm without realizing that I hadn't turned on my radio at all until I was back home. I had been thinking without outside stimulation during the entire drive. It's good to not talk and to not hear anything sometimes. Faith steers you when you can't hear anything. I realize that I haven't been saying much through this medium lately either. It's not that I'm not thinking silly thoughts or that I don't wish to share, it's just that sometimes you have to be quiet with yourself to let yourself examine what it is that you aren't saying.

Recently I went and visited a place that I've meant to see for years. It was quite worth the visit and so I'm letting you know that if you haven't gone to see the Tiffany stained-glass windows in Topeka, you really ought to some time. Do it when you have the time, or make the time if you need be. It seemed like it would be a good place for silence, if you need that.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

We went with Ben to Red Feather Lakes last week, which is in a rather remote area NW of Fort Collins where you're more likely to have your home broken into by bears than people. While he was walking around his client's cabin, I sat on the porch swing overlooking a lake with a nice view of the mountains, and I couldn't believe how quiet it was up there. All I could hear was the girls crunching leaves, digging in the dirt, and playing in the snow on the north side of the house. I realized that I need that kind of silence much more often, but it seems like even when I have the opportunity, I try to fill it in with my iPod, the radio, the TV, or something else.

I wanted to start singing when we passed the road to Shambhala, but I realized that I don't really know the words to that song except for the ai-eee's and yeah yeah yeah's.

Jenny said...

Ahhh, love the silence. (not right now, since Samuel is crying, but whenever it does happen to occur)

linda jean said...

s-crunching leaves is one of the nicest silences.
j-glad you had a little respite from the noise. I hope you get a few more of those.