Monday, January 12, 2009

color me bad

I am in the process of repainting my house. I live in a neighborhood of little houses from the 40s and 50s which are charming and in my case falling apart. The exterior of my home is aluminum siding and the paint started coming off in sheets following the insane hail storms from this summer. So, after loads of advice (thanks Robert!!), I am getting around to repainting. On Friday, I called the paint store to give my colors to the painter.

Then on Sunday, I parked on the street instead of in my usual niche (carport). From that spot I noticed a house which was pretty much the same colors that I had called in (mine were slightly prettier, but light green and dark green are essentially identical to "mesclun green" and "olympic range" when it's all said and done). This house is across the street from the side of my house. So if you were driving down the street and looked in either direction you would see these two houses. Would a driver say "How tacky!" upon encountering the similarities or would he turn up the radio?

I freaked out a little because I'm not really a native townie. Is it a huge faux pas to paint your house the same color as a neighbor's house? Obviously, it's not a problem if it's white, which most of the houses on my block are, but does that change when it's a brighter, more interesting color? Does it change if across the street is actually pretty far because of the wide streets?

The bottom line is the white and gray have to end. "Edgy gold" is the new "mesclun green".

2 comments:

malh said...

One of our neighbors across the street painted their house the same as their next-door vinyl is final neighbor. I think both are uglier than what was there before. I think it is important to not be ugly.

linda jean said...

What is ugly?