Friday, January 16, 2009

I can hardly wait for the mini-series.

I hate talking about politics, generally. People argue and judge you for having thoughts or for not having thoughts and for thinking out loud, but mostly for not thinking exactly like they do. So I am loathe to mention anything that is entertaining in politics, but I thought you should read this.

It's all about the dramatic irony of a particular governor quoting certain poems. I love it. I love the idea of a governor quoting poetry as his ship is sinking because it makes life poetic when it would otherwise be merely filthy.

But it begs a question about politics. Once someone gets big in politics, someone else begins writing his words so that he (or she of course) sounds good. Then you end up thinking about the tail wagging the dog. What is a loyal speech writer to do? Speak sincerely without acknowledging the ridiculousness of everything that has happened? The article presumes that the quotations are made without any one's knowledge and maybe that's true, but what if some guy who is soon to be out of a job and whose resume is going to include "speech writer for crooked man" decides to have some fun.

It seems silly that someone who believes he should represent the people pays someone else to choose his words. It's telling of our society, but also makes you wonder about all of the talented people who are writing stirring words which history will ascribe to another man. It's got to be an odd gig and wouldn't it be a little bit fun to mess with someone who puts that kind of trust in you especially if that person is a jerk.

............................................................................................................

Anyway, I read that Beyonce will sing the first dance song at the inaugural ball. If I were President I would have chosen Bob Dylan I think. Just because it'd be cool. Or maybe Raul Malo because I like his voice. Or maybe Over the Rhine so they could sing their President song.

6 comments:

betsyann said...

I know I'm crazy, but I'm a big Blagojevich fan. I don't know why. The hair? The audacity? I don't know, but I love it.

linda jean said...

i kind of agree.

mllr said...

You girls are silly.
the hair? John Edwards like. the audacity? Bill Clinton like..who rewrote the meaning of is
Linda, what is going to happen when Blago and his defense team don't show up for the impeachment proceedings?

I do like your music pics.

malh said...

Linda--do you know when speech writer became the occupation it is now?

linda jean said...

silliness acknowledged. we know he's a jerk. it's just that he's amazingly good at it.

no idea about speech writing as a profession

malh said...

I was just thinking that it would be funny to be one and work for both sides, misconstruing everything the other said, which would really be me. Saying things so that I could make fun of it later, purposefully drawing the wrong conclusions and then leading the media along like sniffing dogs, until I am exposed on talk radio by some caller from some OK state who says shes my sister, but wants to remain anonymous.