Friday, January 23, 2009

Poetry for the occasion

I have heard both negative and positive reaction to Elizabeth Alexander's inaugural poem. Some say it sounded too much like prose, some praised it as Whitmanesque. Personally, I thought it was beautiful. You may compare it to the previous offerings.

And yes, this list below is it. Too bad if you ask me.

Miller Williams (yes, he is Lucinda's father).
Maya Angelou
Robert Frost (if you missed Writer's Almanac on Tuesday, the explanation for the two poems was interesting).

If you have any events for which you would like a poem composed, contact your favorite poet and ask about their rates. Most poets will work with you for a reasonable fee.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Here's some poetry for another of this week's occasions.

Ben said...

but then you end up consorting with poets and only cyrano should be able to get away with that and still be intact

malh said...

"I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..."

mllr said...

And Linda what are your rates...I might hire you for my last high school graduation...college graduations perhaps...I was disappointed with Frost, I think you can do better.

linda jean said...

hmmm... i don't want to undervalue, but i want to charge something doable. With the family discount-- $25 for graduations. However, ownership and all rights of the poem are retained by the author.