Monday, April 13, 2009

In translation

If I started over, way over, I would learn a foreign language at a very young age. Then I would read poetry and translate into English... or whatever language I chose.

When I lived in KC someone loaned me a copy of Garcia Lorca poetry and I had to return it when I left. (There's a side story to that which I wrote and deleted... if you want an odd little quip ask me about it sometime when you see me). I was actually using a lot of Spanish in my job at the time and reading the Spanish poetry sort of helped immerse me more in the language. Mostly, I learned a lot of impractical Spanish words. Practicality was never my thing anyway.

Arbole, Arbole by Federico Garcia Lorca ( I never learned how to do accent marks on the keyboard... sometime someone should show me how).

3 comments:

betsyann said...

for the é: Alt + 130 on the number pad. On your laptop, you'll probably have to shift + numlock (on the top somewhere) to get to your number pad on the regular keys. If you get that far, I'll give you the rest of the codes. :)

In the Mix said...

Thank you for that. I forget how much I love Spanish poetry.

Steven317 said...

My mother grew up in Panama and I kick myself for not making an effort to learn Spanish. Then again, it's never too late. This summer I've decided to brush up on my classical Greek.