Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sometimes they give awards

This year the Pulitzer prize for poetry was won by poet W.S. Merwin for his book The Shadow of Sirius. Something that I haven't mentioned because it seems like you should know, is that poets publish books. I keep a journal in my office drawer so that I can write down poets I would like to explore when I have time. Sometimes I go on-line and order a book from a specific poet. When I visit the big cities or small cities, if they have a nice book store I go to the poetry section and look for a new book. It takes a pretty special bookstore to carry a good selection of poetry, but when I find one it's such a joy.

Here's a list of the the Pulitzers for poetry books over the years. And here's a poem from this year's poet:
Native Trees by W.S. Merwin

4 comments:

malh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
linda jean said...

how sad. email already told me what it said. Reading poetry is like dating. i think that you should be patient with a poem. Read it for sounds and images without trying to tie it together if you can't figure it out right away. If you are still interested you should keep reading it until you understand its nuances. Accept that you may not quite understand everything, but it will reveal itself to you as you spend time with the poem.

Steven317 said...

also, his collection "The Lice" is really good. I do like me some Merwin.

linda jean said...

Merwin's nice... I've never purchased any of his books.