Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Audio

There are many that argue that poetry is more properly enjoyed aloud. My geographical circumstances have somewhat deprived me of the joy of hearing authors read their own work with any regularity, but when I'm reading something and the words start singing, I read it out loud to myself. I think Shakespeare really sold me on this. There are moments when you read Shakespeare and the text demands to be heard. I thought maybe you would like to listen to a few read by the authors. (The first two may require that you close your eyes and concentrate.)

Friday's Child by W.H. Auden
Riddle by Charles Simic
Forgetfulness by Billy Collins

5 comments:

mllr said...

Forgetfulness is hilarious but soo sad at the same time. Friday's Child is haunting. Thanks for the literary moment.

linda jean said...

i was delighted to hearAuden reading.

malh said...

He read it on a Thursday.

linda jean said...

I looked up "Friday's Child" in "Selected Poems" by W.H. and it says under the title "(In memory of Dietrich Bonhoeffer Martyred at Flossenburg, April 9th, 1945)"

Steven317 said...

Simic read at K-State in november and I had the pleasure of covering it for the paper and talking to him briefly afterwards. He has a real sense of entertaining. Funny poetry too.