Sunday, July 23, 2006

Clerks 2 got great reviews

We went to see Lady in the Water last night. I loved it. It's almost comical the way this movie was panned. It adds to the story. If you read the reviews they are griping about the very things that the movie was intentionally doing as though no movie should ever intentionally do these things. It does have a quality of being made up as it goes along. This is what makes it genuine as a bed time story. The movie itself warns you along the way that you have to be little kid to listen to the story. You have to let go of your expectations of what a story should or should not be before it begins. "Once upon a time there was a very good man who was sad and lonely because he missed his family. One day he finds a beautiful girl. The beautiful girl was scared and so the very good man decides to help her." Maybe I'm just an M. Night fan and everything he does is good. Here's the thing about being an M. Night fan, hardly anyone makes anything because it's "good" anymore and for some reason he is. There is a wholesomeness to his movies that is authentic. You never have to pretend that the main character is good like you do in so many other movies. Anyway, you may not like the movie either, but I thought I ought to defend it since I enjoyed it.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

I liked it a lot too. One reviewer who gave it an F couldn't stop talking about how much he hated all of M Night's movies and how this was no exception and he shouldn't even be allowed to make movies. So why did he go to the opening night? Incidentally, I used to make up bedtime stories about a little girl named Isabelle and her bunny Floppy. She preferred them to any of her storybooks ... the only problem was when she asked me to tell her one of the stories again later.

malh said...

I thought the movie was great. The characters were just as they should be in a bedtime story--exaggerated, intriguing. I love telling bedtime stories,only they are usually to Robert, and I am always disappointed when it is really a good one and he starts snoring(which is actually the goal). I think the critics didn't like the fact that the film critic was an expendable character...maybe some tongue-in-cheek humor by M. Night.

lobiwan said...

"Wide Awake"(1998), Night's first hollywood movie, is now at the top of our netflix. Must find copy of "Praying with Anger"(1992)...

Unknown said...

Just got done and honestly I laughed through the entire movie. My entourage and I decided that it was M. Night's first comedy. Liked the movie. and honestly I had to read your review to regain myself enough to make an opinion.
That's all.. much love..
Oh and thats why I called you but I got ahold of MattMatt so you don't need to rush to return the call.

mllr said...

I know this is late, but I didn't see it till now. I thought that the movie was delightful and sweet, I laughed and cried and had a wonderful time. THank you so much Linda for recommending it. I was glad that I hadn't read all the criticism, also I think more people would have gone if the trailer hadn't made it look like a bad horror film. Jim, Lainey, and Mark saw it with me and were not so taken by it. I guess I should go to movies with linda and joanna

Anonymous said...

Snoring Advice Snoring Advice - Top needed information, and helpfull articles about snoring at Snoring Advice