Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thinking about language and books

I've had no recent adventures except a regular week. Regular weeks are a little tiresome. After a trial with a Somalian traffic infractioner, I looked up languages of Somalia and it seems that the infractioner and his friend were mostly likely speaking Somali. Everyone mocked me at the office when I asked what language was spoken in Somalia. I don't know everything.

I've also been pondering literature that has been tagged as questionable. I remember reading Catcher in the Rye during the STD pep assembly my senior year of high school (ok there was no cheering). Frankly, I was pretty thankful for that book and having something to focus on other than the enlarged photos on the slide show. I read Brave New World, Catch-22, The Fountainhead, Slaughterhouse 5, and so many others which ought to be banned by certain criterion. I am so glad that I read those questionable books. Restricting the human mind is the beginning of destroying the creative spirit. Who would I be without the creative? Some ideas may be distasteful, but I know what I believe is solid because it's been exposed to other ideas of how the world should work. I read some Jean Paul Sartre last year and I disagree with everything he believes, but what a lovely time I had letting him challenge me. Maybe some wayward high schooler will be aroused out of his mental slumber by these controversial books. People who only enjoy them for the salacious material are perhaps a lost cause already, and they wouldn't read David Copperfield even if it were assigned.

I try not to be controversial and I hope what I said isn't very. Some days I think being a Christian is just about fighting for my right to think. I know it isn't, but golly, a lot church types believe not thinking is faith.

3 comments:

mllr said...

It must be difficult for those that haven't been grounded in faith to not want to completely disown the world when they find out the truth;...as for us "all things are lawful,but all things are not expedient" I guess we have to be careful to not cross that line and not be overly influenced by the thoughts of man. In light of that, God surely is displeased with Christians who don't have enough faith to be able to examine all things and instead of falling away, become more assured of the truth

Shauna said...

Os Guinness (I love Os) has a book called Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do About It. It's an interesting read and I would send it to you if you want to read it, assuming I can locate it, that is! I didn't agree with all of his positions and conclusions but it definitely provides a lot of food for thought.

linda jean said...

I bet I can track down the book. thanks. sometimes i just want some affirmation that i'm not the only person thinking like i am.