Thursday, January 25, 2007

Omenowen

I discovered evidence today about a theory I have been pondering unseriously for some time now. I consider myself more a student of luck than actual practitioner, so this is very amateur and I haven't found any conclusive answerss; so please do not adjust your superstitions based on my observations.

The thing that I have pondered (mostly because of the black stray cat that lives near the courthouse) is whether the cat causes the bad luck or whether it is his job to scurry in front of people in order to warn them of impending unluckiness. Today as I was walking back from court Omen, the resident stray black cat, was walking next to me. He was in the street, I was on the sidewalk. As we walked I quickened my pace to discourage Omen from crossing in front of me. He quickened his pace, matching mine as though it were his mission to stay with me. He did this in spite of oncoming cars. I decided to go even faster, but the cat sped up too. Alas, I was impeded by the icy sidewalk which was clear up until the trees. I had to slow down. As I slowed down, Omen hopped the curb and scampered right in front of me. Anyway, I'll let you know what comes of it.

As far as my theory goes, this seems to indicate that the cat crossings are not random, but planned ahead of time. (I know some of you are worried about my eternal soul, but really, I've been delivered from not joking about these things).

In other cat news, Omen has a counterpart. I haven't concluded whether he is good luck or not, but I feel he must be a harbinger of the positive. He looks like a black cat from a profile angle, but head-on he has a large white spot under his chin. I've decided to call him "Owen" being only slightly different from Omen , but not his opposite (if he were a white cat his name would be "Nemo" of course).

10 comments:

betsyann said...

Linda's funny.

linda jean said...

Thanks Betbet

Anonymous said...

are we concerned for your eternal soul because you are superstitious or because you let stray cats cross your path? malh

linda jean said...

It's beause of the superstitious thing. You weren't raised in crazy church, you might not understand.

bloggendrauf said...

Maybe Omen/Owen are angels "unaware." Perhaps if you had not hurried up your walking while Omen was chasing you there would have been a nasty disaster which would have visited you such as a branch falling on you, or a meteorite falling from the sky, or the ground opening up to swallow you whole, or airplane toilet ice falling on your head. Perhaps his crossing your path was a signal to you that he had accomplished his protective task in protecting your eternal soul (and the body that is contains it). The "black cat" conventional wisdom may be a case of every silver lining having a cloud.

JEO

linda jean said...

Thanks bloggenberger. Yes, Omen and Owen could be conspiring to assist many eternal souls. Omen may be a good one.

Unknown said...

I am soo sorry I didn't call you back! Drew was saying how I needed to clean my room more than I needed to call you back and then we asked the magic 8 ball and had a quick laugh over it and I forgot. I will talk to you sometime "today" though. love

linda jean said...

Jo- I guess we've solved the mystery of what my unlucky moment was going to be.

mllr said...

Of course Omens actions also are tied to the magic 8 ball

linda jean said...

Are they competing forces or are they working in tandem? (ps the man has taken away my ability to comment at work... apparently comments are not work related and neither is having cool tunes streaming on-line).