Wednesday, January 03, 2007

slippers and signs

I have been reminded of some important things today... like that stocking feet on the linoleum stairs to my basement may result in slip and fall-- not the good kind where you collect $1 million. The backs of my calves are bruised, my hand is sore, my back muscle is pulled and I was late to work, all because I failed to put on slippers this morning.

The courthouse is sporting new no gun signs showing a gun with a red slash running through it. Hooray, the conceal and carry law went into effect! I had almost forgotten, but I think we can now use the outdoor ashtrays as a drop off spot for the guns since no one can smoke within 100 feet of the courthouse now. You can't smoke within 100 feet, but you can carry your gun right up to the front door. Hopefully I'll get used to the signs, but right now it just makes me wonder who the signs are targeting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

from the redundancy department of redundance: if it's already unlawful to shoot a person in a government building but i intend to do so anyway is the presence of a sign going to stop me? was there a high percentage of folks who found themselves accidentally pointing firearms at each other inside? if a gun goes off in a courtroom and the court is not in session does it make a sound?

i am ben and i find myself unable to sign in on a comments page with the new blogher

linda jean said...

I think it's to remind the lawful carriers of firearms not to take them inside... We can now legally carry conceal weapons in KS. But, exactly. Who are these signs going to stop? Mostly they just give me the willies.