Friday, April 13, 2007

I'm awake and I'm writing

It's wet outside with a light dusting of snow. I suppose I'll have to get used to the idea if the forecasters know anything about the rest of the day. I had another accident at work this week. I'm not trying to hurt myself I'm just clumsy, especially when I have the large travel mug filled with hot coffee and I take off the safety lid so that it will cool off a little bit faster. Fortunately I had cleaned off my desk last week and so the only thing that got ruined was a business card which I only use to give out the fax number at the office. A statute book is also permanently stained. When I fell down the stairs at work I was going to refill an empty coffee mug, so I guess the conclusion is that coffee drinking can be dangerous. I learned during that fall that emptiness is not always what it seems in that I still spilled coffee on the wall even though the mug was "empty". I learned this time that the safety lid is there for my protection and I shouldn't blithely throw off those things which are designed for my benefit.

Easter was a sleepy day. I went to church at 7:45, ate breakfast at my parents' house and napped under an electric blanket. I was awakened by a niece who wanted to give me an old driver's licence which expired in 2000 (I was wearing my dad's flannel shirt and my earrings didn't match in the picture). I read a book called "The World's Great Letters". It was published in 1940 and was a book my mom had given to me a long time ago which I had left behind without having really read much of it. Now that I've read a lot of the book, it has come home with me. The book contained letters from Edgar Allen Poe about his drinking, a letter from Lenin regarding Stalin's leadership abilities and a letter from Thomas Mann about being stripped of his academic credentials from the University of Bonn during the Nazi rise to power. Slightly anti-social of me to spend so much of the day reading, but it felt like a real day off because of it. I did go out and roast marshmallows at one point, but the wind was bitter.

The desert I made was a success in spite of my attmepts to sabatoge it during its creation (I spilled half of the crust on the floor, and went ahead and made "Awesome Easter Desert" with a spotty crust). The day I shopped for ingredients I bought vitamin E tablets to sqeeze onto the dry patch on my face. I realized after applying it a couple of times that the awful smell was unusual and that it came from the fish oil that was added to these tablets. I guess I didn't read the bottle very well in the store.

That's all, I think I have time to do some reading before I have to go to work and do the things that I do.

No comments: