Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Steele homestead (or not)*

I started here. (Not my day, but my trek to see the old homestead). Homesteaders were pretty amazing people. I would add a little fearless because all that I can think of seeing this at the top of a hill is : tornado fodder. There aren't stairs most of the way up.

I arrived here with a note to myself to take better care of my body, and a reminder not to grab yuccas when your feet start to slip.


The inside was lined with benches. I don't think that the Steele's lived with them in their house, but I didn't have a tour guide so I can't be certain.

* I don't really think that this is a homestead, but maybe something built more recently for visitors. It did seem really odd, but after reading the site about the park I think this isn't really anything historic, which makes the Steeles seem like much more sensible people. They did a nice job making it feel rustic. It is one of my failings to just explain things in my mind and accept those explanations as truth. I suppose you should be warned about me.


2 comments:

mllr said...

This reminds me of when we were little and we would pack picnic lunches for our big half mile hike to the "dirt house"...when it was still halfway standing, and we would eat on top of the house and go exploring for remnants of the past.

linda jean said...

That's a nice memory. Maybe we should walk down there with a picnic next time you visit.