Tuesday, April 03, 2007

repeating sugar and tangerines

The server is down at the office. One of the things that is working on my computer is the disc player, which I favor over my unreliable little portable thing (sometimes when I hit play it says NO DISC... there is a disc to play, I think maybe it doesn't really like music). Today I put in The Wallflowers Bringing Down the Horse. I love that cd, but I got stuck on "Josephine". I probably listened to it 20 times today. It seems a peculiar thing that sometimes I get stuck just wanting to listen to one song, but I suppose that's how #1's and Your Hit Parade works. So I was pondering my other repeat songs. It happens a lot to me because you can just hit repeat with cds. (I probably need to upgrade to an MP3 player, but I am technologically inept and have reached the stage in my adulthood where nothing makes sense that's new... a little early maybe?). Anyway, for my enjoyment I made a list. I know that I'm missing a bunch, but sometimes a list can be too long and I think I could spend a long time on this one.
  1. "Three Ways" The Wallflowers (simple, true)
  2. "Bad" U2 (lyrics that spin your head a little, but comfort)
  3. "Fake Plastic Trees" Radiohead (happily, it doesn't fit right now, but there were times when it was perfect)
  4. "When the Man Comes Around" Johnny Cash (literal interpretation of Revelation... it's just cool)
  5. "Back of Your Hand" Dwight Yoakam (Sad, just stinking sad)
  6. "Hard to Get" Rich Mullins (Every song on the Jesus Record has been on repeat at least once, the demo tracks of course)
  7. "Reflecting Light" Sam Phillips ("the moon's never seen me before")
  8. "Relapse" Adam Again (Spooky sad. )
  9. "Gun" Uncle Tupelo ("my heart it was a gun, but it's unloaded now")
  10. "Stone" Adam Again (sad... didn't realize they'd get two. I didn't even mention "Worldwide" or "River on Fire")
  11. "Here You Come Again" Dolly Parton (Hee hee hee, but it's true)
  12. "Moonshadow" Cat Stevens ("did it take long to find me?")
  13. "Road to Ensenada" Lyle Lovett (I can hardly listen to the rest of the cd because I always want to hear that one, and it's a great cd).
  14. "How Good it can Get" The Wallflowers (i've spent so much time wondering how good it can get)

I just reread it and it's an odd little list. Obviously my repeats can be a bit influenced by melancholy.

13 comments:

betsyann said...

My most famous repeat drove my roommates crazy.
"If I Had a Hammer"

I don't know why.

Shauna said...

Lately I keep repeating The Postal Service's Such Great Heights. This line is just so sweet:

I am thinking it's a sign
That the freckles in our eyes
Are mirror images and
When we kiss they're perfectly aligned

And I have to speculate
That God himself did make us into
Corresponding shapes like puzzles pieces
From the clay

It's kind of funny that it was on an M&M's commercial at some point.

linda jean said...

Shauna-- that is a really sweet song. Probably doesn't irritate you since you have a puzzle piece :)

linda jean said...

Betsy-- I remember a girl on my dorm floor playing a Micheal W. Smith song over and over again... your roommate had nothing to complain about.

Shauna said...

Ah, Lisa. I preferred when she played Forever Young or Let Love Rule over and over and over and over ...

linda jean said...

yeah... that song is kinda in my head even now except i don't really remember any of the words. "sittin in a boat blah blah hole blah afloat"

nattyman said...

"Bad" and "Relapse" would have made my list as well, maybe "Fake Plastic Trees". Lately I have repeated Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" (some good old fashion Fire and Brimstone that we don't hear enough of these days) and "Hurt" (each time it starts I consider skipping because I am not sure if I can handle the emotional intensity of it but then I never regret hearing it all the way through).

In the Mix said...

"Bad" and "Fake Plastic Trees" also make my list. Two of my other favorites are "Most of the Time" - Bob Dylan and "I Believe (When I Fall in Love it Will be Forever)" - Stevie Wonder.

lobiwan said...

Josephine is a real good song, but whenever I listen to it I end up singing "gasoline" instead of "tangerines".
It kind of changes the mood.

linda jean said...

natty-- I like that Johnny song too, but i don't think it will ever end up on repeat. it scares me a little, which it should.
mixy-- i don't think i know about that stevie wonder song, i'll have to look it up.
lobi-- your version doesn't even make sense. gasoline doen't taste sweet... but it's a strange song anyway.

Shauna said...

Moby's Run On is an interesting take on God's Gonna Cut You Down. It's an old folk song that's apparently been redone by a lot of different artists. A scary JC song that I sometimes repeat is Mercy Seat.

linda jean said...

http://www.sojo.net/
At the bottom of the site is an interview with Moby. Kinda of interesting,

Trinket said...

"Bad" is on my list, as well!