Sunday, August 05, 2007

By Kismet

It was a difficult week for getting excited about much of anything. My weekend outing was no exception. The most unfortunate thing about visiting a place is the unpredictable factor of the individual and her mood(the same can be said about reading, art, movies, and probably a million other things). I'm not certain if my gloomy week made me lethargic this weekend or if it was the humidity. Neither are normal. It may have been a bit of both. I made a short trip this weekend to Meade State Park which is a little fishing lake with a small swimming beach. I enjoyed the drive, and the landscape as you approach the lake is very pretty. However, I'm not sure that I had as much fun as I should have.

I worked on reading Death Comes for the Archbishop. Betsy appropriately loaned it to me before I began my road trip to the Southwest, and as is my custom with reading, I am still working on it. I decided that maybe Willa Cather demands a faster reader than me. She frustrates me because I know that the writing and descriptions are beautiful, but I never feel like I've read enough of a book to feel like I'm into it and that I want to finish. I am determined this time, in spite of my My Antonia failures.

I swam a little bit. I had brought a floaty ("air mattress" if you like grown up words), but the wind was blowing pretty steady at 20-30 mph so I decided not to bother. There wasn't a single boat on the water, though the park rangers made sure to yell at people who veered outside of the designated swimming area. One observation made by a young girl as she a passed a pair of goggles to her friend summed up this lake "look under water, it's pure green". Not that "pure green" bothers me at all, I am a water-deprived Kansan.

There was a strange, short trail at the park which I ventured. I wasn't really sure what I should be observing on this walk. There were many cottonwoods, and plants unknown to me, but I wouldn't describe any of it as interesting. Many of the trees were charred by small fires, but none of the area looked like it had experienced any extensive damage. A bird guide might have been helpful because I saw some strange looking ones which I thought might have been delightful had I been educated enough to understand why. Just when I was telling myself "this trail is only .5 miles long, I don't care how humid it is, you are making it to the other end", I saw the back ends of two white tailed deer. Of course, this made the humidity more bearable and the strangeness of the trail enchanting. I came to the end of the trail, looked around and went back to my car the same way that I had come.

One of my friends from work had told me about getting water from the artesian well at the park, but I was unable to find this source or where it was I should refill my water bottle. It could be that I was tired, but after a bit of driving around, I returned home, the same way I came: by Kismet.

5 comments:

mllr said...

Linda you are just THE Kansas Explorer aren't you! I don't think I could force myself to read Willa Cather again...I think you must have to be gifted to enjoy her writing, I get bored too easily.

linda jean said...

there are those that surpass my skill... I was reading about Willa and she started out writing poetry. I think that explains a lot about her writing, its flaws and its greatness.

Shauna said...

I loved My Antonia and O Pioneers!

linda jean said...

:)
I know I'm defective. It's not that I dislike the books, it's that I never felt a need to finish. Why did you love them?

Shauna said...

I don't remember. Maybe I'll have to read one of them again.

I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn now, and although I love Francie and think it's a good book, a couple of times I've almost put the book aside. I have to be in the right mood for misery and oppression with faint glimmers of hope, and I'm not really in the mood for brutal reality right now. It's pretty tempting to read the final HP again instead.