Thursday, August 30, 2007

My day in list form

(beginning with the first memory of the day)
1. Did hair at 2nd stoplight on the way to work.
2. Got a cup of coffee from the basement at work.
3. Pondered whether the list could be used as a poetry "form".
4. Stared resentfully at in-box, the physical in-box not email.
5. Took out M. Ward and switched to Spoon in the hopes of making day more lively.
6. Read about possible candidates for attorney general.
7. Talked to Watson about crime without using the word "elementary" which was a disappointment.
8. Cut someone's birthday cake without her presence because I wanted coffee with my piece of cake and her email said we could "dig in".
9. Sighed heavily reading new legislation.
10. Pondered desperation and its link to crime.
11. Wondered if outline wouldn't make a better poetry form than list.
12. Admired birthday girl's orange roses.
13. Ate omelet with swiss cheese, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms for lunch.
14. Came out as closet environmentalist to co-workers.
15. Threw away letter for reception to be held after work and realized that our office must not recycle.
16. Called _________ and ___________ about ____________.
17. Discussed conspiracy theories or rather theories of conspiracy.
18. Tried to clean desk, but got bored after putting first book away.
19. Sang "Halloweenhead" repeatedly in head and decided maybe I should quit listening to Ryan Adams.
20. Was offered trade in fantasy football which was withdrawn before I read it.
21. Wondered to whom itunes email regarding new music from Kenny Chesney and Lyle Lovett was aimed and realized it might be my boss.
22. Thought about how Lovett and Chesney both had oddly short marriages to actresses.
23. Walked to a secretary's desk multiple times for "red vines" candy.
24. Thought about various ways to use string in collage projects.
25. Called to get dates of birth for several co-conspirators.
26. Thought about the death penalty.
27. Signed name 14 times.
28. Kept list during work hours.

7 comments:

Susan said...

What a lovely list. You've suddenly inspired me to change my life plan and start studying for the LSAT.

Or maybe not.

Have you read anything by Lorrie Moore? We're reading her book of short stories, "Birds of America" for class and I'm loving it.

Also, you can never have too much Ryan Adams.

linda jean said...

Never read any Lorrie... new reading is always fun to know about it. Ryan Adams is great it's just that all I keep sing is a lot of cursing.
Today's list:
1. Looked at clock at 8:00 am and realized I must have turned off alarm instead of hitting snooze.
2. Commented on blog.

mllr said...

what a funny list to make! 14. at least you will admit who you are unlike the senator from Idaho.

lobiwan said...

I don't understand how knowing the birth dates of your fantasy football team members is going to help you.

Jenny said...

Linda, I enjoyed this post even more because I could picture your surroundings. The secretaries used to each have a recycle box for paper under their desks... maybe they didn't give these boxes to the attorneys or they have discontinued their use?

I frequently do my makeup at the stoplights on the way to wherever. Especially going up Rock Rd, which can take forever. Powder at the first light, mascara on one eye at the second light, next eye at the third light, etc. In fact, I rarely put on makeup except this way.

I think the list makes a fine poetry form. :-)

linda jean said...

Jenny--I actually don't usually do any grooming in traffic. Yesterday it was just waking up really late. I maybe need to spend August near the ocean.
lobi-- I can't tell you all of my special fantasy football secrets.
mllr-- i think craig just mixed up the signal for needing to borrow toilet paper.

malh said...

your first memory is doing your makeup at the stoplight?? #13 inspired me. It was a fantastic omelet.