Sunday, May 20, 2007

Kansas Postcard Day







These buffalo and the one above had to get off of the road to let me pass. I was reminded about my true weakness as a farm girl: fear of large mammals. You have no idea how much courage it took me to get out of the car to take these pictures. My best guess is that this fear harkens back to a story of our horse biting someone. One of my older siblings explained that animals can sense fear and they get angry when they sense fear. I think I was around age 4 or 5. Sometimes the fear that I'm afraid is just as great as the underlying fear.

7 comments:

Shauna said...

I love all the photos! I've never been to Jacob's Well.

Having a healthy fear of bison just seems like common sense to me.

linda jean said...

Well, I felt very healthy. I imagined them trying to climb through the windows of my car when I was driving through... that part doesn't seem likely.

mllr said...

We drove through the entire pasture last summer looking for a buffalo and didn't see one...I am glad they are still there.

Ben said...

i want you to go back to the tree and the windmill and stand closer to the tree and point upward until the windmill looks like a toy and just barely is in the frame with more sky and mostly tree and less backlight from the sky...and then take another frame of the same shot but in portrait mode so the windmill is blurred a little bit...

Ben said...

and there should be oranges

linda jean said...

Thanks for the advice ben. I'm rather new to photography so your input is very helpful. The oranges shouldn't be a problem. Sorry I didn't think about it before.

malh said...

After reading the link, I would say that you were VERY brave indeed.