Sunday, May 20, 2007

On the road (and what I found there)

This is road going east/southeast away from the well. I had never driven this part and walked it on this day instead. The website I linked to above seems to indicate that the road ends at the well, but I walked past the well and this is where I walked. (Maybe it was a road to Brigadoon if I'd only kept going). This is a mixed grass prairie with short and medium grasses. I can't think of any other publicly owned mixed grass areas in Kansas. Are there any others?




As you walk the road becomes more and more grassy as less and less travelers drive and walk this section. There are windmills scattered in the area for watering the buffalo since they are not free to roam away from here if the water dries up. One other thing that you will notice is the way the road disappears around the bend. It calls to you "come and see what's next".




Do you recognize me? I was unable to identify this critter. It's hard to tell in the photo, but he has been completely flattened.




5 comments:

In the Mix said...

Daniel says it's a horned toad. What species he cannot say for sure.

linda jean said...

Is that the Kansas State amphibian? How is it that this is the first one I remember seeing? Are they more prevelant farther east? (Mixie-- daniel doesn't have to answer all of those questions, but maybe someone could)

linda jean said...

Barred Tiger Salamander -- Kansas State amphibian. I don't think I've ever seen one of those either.

Unknown said...

I've seen all of the above.. Maybe I'm the most... um cultured?

bloggendrauf said...

We have horned toads out here but they aren't as flat. They look a lot like prehistoric, midget dinosours. If I were older I could spell dinosours correctly.