Wednesday, May 30, 2007

wishing for wishes

This noon-hour-written post is owing to the gloomy cloud in my office today. I'm working in my office all day so I'm in need of levity. I have turned off the melancholy tunes, or tried (my choices get pretty slim when I ban melancholy). In the hope of dispelling the cloud, I am writing.

I am hoping to get some questions answered regarding attitudes and belief about wishes. This is for my own research and the result will hardly be scientific since I'm friends or kin to everyone who comments. (Anyone is welcome to comment).

Dear readers, please answer any or all of the questions asked:

1. Do you make a wish before blowing out you birthday candles?
2. Do you believe your wish will come true when you blow out all of you candles in one breath?
3. Do you have any "typical wishes" (like a swimming pool or happiness) that you have found yourself making on multiple birthdays? What are your typical wishes?
4. What are your atypical wishes?

Just to clarify, there is a difference between needs and desires. Prayers can encompass aspects of both, but wishes are just fun wants.

7 comments:

lobiwan said...

1. Not for a long time.
2. I haven't successfully blown out all my candles since I was like 9, so that might explain #1 (really if I'm honest, I don't EVER remember successfully blowing out all of my candles. But surely I used to be able to?)
3. Typically, I wish that I could blow out all of my candles.
4. Even my most unusual wishes are always entirely typical.

malh said...

1. Depends if I actually have candles. Sometimes it is just one candle. Gets to be a fire hazard at a certain age, or a wax in your cake hazard.
2. Not really, but I try to pretend.
3. I do not remember the wishes from birthday to birthday, although at one time in my life, I think trampoline was wished for more than once(I guess that would be more than one time).
4. A Big Dog Motorcycle.

Shauna said...

I don't remember the last time I blew out candles. I used to wish on the first star a lot, though, and it was usually a Fievel sort of wish. SOSWOT.

Trinket said...

1. Yes.
2. If I'm honest, no. But I sure WANT to believe it.
3. Yes. At one point, a pony. Then, to fall in love.
4. I'm a pretty typical sort of girl. (See #3.) I did go through a phase where I wished for things like world peace because I felt like it was what I should be wishing for.

mllr said...

1. Yes, always
2. Yes, of course
3. My typical wishes are always prayers. From age 10 to 25 it was always to have a certain boy like me, how silly. Now I wish
a. for Drew to be compassionate and not critical
b. for Joanna to be disciplined and happy
c. for Lainey to not get hurt
d. for Spencer to become focused on school and get A's.
e. for all my kids to want their lives to be pleasing to God
f. for Linda to meet a nice boy

4. a jeep

linda jean said...

mllr-- it must take you a long time to blow out the candles (not an age joke, a # of wishes joke).
shauna-- SOSWOT... I had forgotten. Wishes do come true, eh?
trinket-- world peace. true love. what a warm heart!
malh-- A big dog what?!?
lobiwan-- but your typical wish was atypical. What gives?

Unknown said...

1. Yes.. or I think "Make a wish" without making one.
2. no wishes are bull
3. like my mother, if "make a wish" didn't enter my quick thoughts before mindlessly blowing the candles out.. I would just say a boy's name in my head.
4. none. but obviously my wishes are why i don't believe in them coming true