Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Wild Phantom Identity

I haven't had a participation blog in a long time. Due to the fact that the last three books that I've read are about as different as books can be, I thought I would make a list of lessons from the books and let you guess which book belongs to the corresponding lesson.

1. Instincts are a heritage.
2. Games can ruin everything even if they are kindly intended.
3. Leaving your man is essential to fully realizing one's potential.
4. Knowledge is senseless without rhyme and reason.
5. London is too weird to be real.
6. There are too many things to learn and to see to ever be bored.
7. Useless tasks are the thief of time.
8. Dogs are a good companion.
9. The person who knows you best still doesn't know you.
10. Dreams can be very long or very short.

Your book choices are: Identity by Milan Kundera, The Phantom Toolbooth by Norton Juster, The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Write down numbers 1-10 and next to the number write down the correct (or your best guess) book which taught that lesson.

P.S. thanks to Dad and Spencer for the reading recommendations. You were right, TCOTW and TPT were great reads. Also thanks to the thrift store in Arizona for the $.50 copy of I, I'm still trying to decide what I think about it.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Ok. I'm participating, even without reading "Identity" and having read "The Phantom Tollbooth" a really long time ago, and skimming "The Call of the Wild" before the bell rang for class. So... here goes.

1.TCotW
2.TPT
3.I
4.TPT
5.TPT
6.I
7.TPT
8.TCotW
9.I
10.TPT

I don't think I did very well at that. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

susan-- thanks for going first. to aid others and to give you a chance to revise if you'd like I'll tell you that you got 5 answers correct, and though I gave you credit for a "correct" answer on one of them, I think that a different novel would have been a better answer.

mllr said...

1.TCotW
2.I
3.TCofW
4.TPT
5.I
6.TPT
7.TPT
8.TCotW
9.I
10.I

lobiwan said...

1 Wild
2 phantom
3 identity
4 wild
5 wild, obviously
6 wild
7 phantom
8 Identity
9 wild
10 phantom

linda jean said...

lobiwan--
2 correct answers. Although I'm considering the possiblitiy that a dog is a good companion may have been the subtext in Identity. Also that the subtext of CotW was that London is too weird to be real. The majority of the events were in the Yukon, but perhaps "London" as a symbol of civilization and the story's theme was that civilization destroys instincts and we are closest to our real selves when we are removed from civilization. On that basis London is too weird to be real.

linda jean said...

mllr-- you got everything correct except that I believe the more correct answer on number 8 is PT. I think that COTW subverts the idea of dog as "companion" though in the story you could argue that dog is a good companion.

linda jean said...

mllr-- so did you read identity or deduce the answers by process of elimination?

mllr said...

I won! What did I win? No, I didn't read Identity, but I read a brief commentary on it before answering, so as not to be totally off. I loved the Call of the Wild and The Phantom Tollbooth though.

lobiwan said...

Jack London is to weird to be true.

Anonymous said...

lobiwan-- I'm not as smart as I'd like to be.