Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stoecker Bridge


The bridge is a WPA project and I was inspired to go and find it by a piece on HPPR ( if you're interested the podcast is the one entitled WPA projects) which replayed as we drove to it. The picture is a little bit washed out, but the black and white picture was better than the color ones.


My companion in the arch. One arch had water flowing (mostly frozen) and the other side was dry.
This is the bridge and the brush from the other side.

We took turns picking up this block. We estimated that it was 90 pounds based upon my ability to move it, but not lift it and Matthew's ability to actually raise it off the ground.

7 comments:

mllr said...

I'm sad you went bridge hunting without me.

linda jean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
linda jean said...

I thought of you often since you introduced me to bridge hunting. Hodgeman county is nearly as bridgey as Cowley.

Shauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shauna said...

You should mix letterboxing with your Kansas exploring sometime. It looks like there are some in Kansas

mllr said...

so...letterboxing sounds like a good time...also I have a GPS system now which should help

Shauna said...

With a GPS, you could go geocaching, which is similar, but you're looking for goodies instead of stamps.