Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Jailhouse Conversion

There are days when I believe that the best way to find Jesus is to be charged with a felony. I guess when you need forgiveness, He'll deliver. It's just a weird dynamic after a defendant leaves and the courtroom regulars all mock, until someone says "I hope that he really has changed".

Speaking of forgiveness, try talking to 8th grade girls about "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you". "Like I tried to be nice to her this one time, but then I found out that she hated me and was talking about me behind my back and so I wasn't going to be nice to her again because I don't want to be her friend and if I was nice then I would totally be a poser. So yeah, I guess that's like turning the other cheek." Do you understand that Jesus asks us to live differently? "Yeah, totally, that's why I'm not fake." (I really do love these girls, but sometimes talking to them is like talking to the television).

You can't force someone to understand forgiveness or to accept forgiveness when it's offered. You can't force someone to understand how much they need forgiveness. I guess you just do your best to say it. You do your best to believe in it. You do your best to see the world through his eyes and not your own.

1 comment:

lobiwan said...

now see, that was better