Saturday, May 20, 2006

No recuerpos esos anos

So I rented movies alone tonight, and I watched "Dummy". I really enjoyed it. So I googled the writer/director. Happy movies are so hard to write without making them predictable. It's even harder to actually say something about life through the medium. Point being is I thought he did a great job and succeeded. Not that I personally know about them being difficult to write, but seeing them seems so infrequent that I assume it must be difficult.

So I read an interview with Greg Pritikin about the movie, and this happens to be the funniest quote: "People in Kansas now know who he is. So, he's very happy." He's talking about Adrien Brody winning the Oscar around the time this movie came out.

I didn't think we were the cultural gage for making it big time. So, hold your head high, you ill-informed hicks. We've made an actor happy by knowing who he is. (I suppose in his defense, I should admit that I would have had to have driven probably 5 hours to have seen "Dummy" in a movie theatre and it's possible that the "Pianist" didn't actually play in the theatre in my hometown either.)

As a girl once said when I mentioned I was from Kansas, " Ohh, Kansas. I've always been intrigued by Kansas". I asked her why. "Umm... I don't know".

It's still pretty early and I think this Kansas girl hasn't missed the sunset.

P.S. the title is a cryptic reference to the fact that my dvd players always starts movies with the Spanish subtitles on.

P.P.S. Dummy is rated R for all the regular reasons, so I just thought I should tell you that in case it mattered to you.

13 comments:

stan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
stan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mllr said...

hmmm...here is another comment to delete

betsyann said...

We watched Dummy last night, it was cute enough, but suprisingly unoriginal. It's just Napoleon Dynamite. Maybe I'm getting to be more and more like my Dad. That's totally something he would notice and comment on.

linda jean said...

You really thought it was Napolean Dynamite and unoriginal. Maybe I'm not old enough. However, it does pre-date Napolean. By the way, the deleted comments were spam.

Shauna said...

That's weird. I haven't had any spam comments since I started requiring word verification.

linda jean said...

Yeah, it was weird. The comment said something about me being the "legal" field and then commented on the "review". After that it gave an address to some sort of positive thinking blog. It also had some weird ingratiating language. It was the same message twice.

Ranger said...

I have not seen dummy, but I do remember watching dumb and dumber with this blog administrator, I don't recommend it, especially on sid administrators birthday. I actually think it was the last movie I ever saw at the STATE though. The last movie, and only movie I saw at the Drive in was GREASE, which seems appropriate.

malh said...

Those deleted comments were actually my alter-ego. I use a man's name to throw people. I have been experimenting with positive thinking, and aggrandizement. I'm happy. AKA stan.

linda jean said...

MALH-- Did you see those messages before I deleted them or are you really Stan. If you really are Stan, I'm sorry.

malh said...

apology accepted. hehehehehe(:
You read your comments from a few days before. I am so impressed. By the way, I have been telling Robert about your blog and how cool it is,so, he decided to start one of his own. No posts yet. Too busy. I have been threatening to take it over so that I can prove what cute kids I have too. I think it is called Navigating the rabbit hole.

jmlo said...

Eric went to Blockbuster to rent Dummy--they are no longer stocking it--but did have it for sale for seven dollars. He rented Memoirs of a Geisha instead. I am not sure why it is a substitute for a funny cute movie. Maybe because the main character is a child at the beginning?

linda jean said...

I've read Memoirs of a Geisha and I don't know why you would want to watch a movie about it.