Monday, May 15, 2006

Observatory in a rented car

My weekend was all about graduation and driving with a little mix of Marland Mansion and wedding crashing. The Marland Mansion is something else. It made me feel a bit like I was in The Great Gatsby. I got to feel socially inept going through a receiving line and not being mentally prepared to fake my way through it. Alas, there are times when I realize I will never grow out of some things. Needless to say, I am very proud of my nephew, but mostly proud of what great people my nieces and nephews are.

Driving home reminded me of how much I hate traveling alone. I wanted to stop at the Great Salt Plains since I never have, but it feels like a non-memory if I do it alone. I would be much better at singlehood if I enjoyed my independence. The play list began with Groove Armada which is wonderfully mindless summer music, but not so wonderful for driving. I moved on to disc 2 of the Johnny Cash set I got for Christmas and listened to Cocaine Blues a few times because it is so much fun to sing along. I moved on the Randy Travis "Worship and Faith" since it was Sunday and all. I thought about Hannah and Rachel and their long sorrow before motherhood. I also thought about God's special thoughts toward them on account of their faith through the sorrow. I then switched to Delirious? "Mission Bell" to finish the drive home.

Bluestem is the prettiest grass in the world. I saw 5 dead deer: 2 in Kansas, 3 in Oklahoma. I'm not sure if that makes Oklahoma the winner or not. I may have seen a ferret in Oklahoma, but one can never be certain about ditch wildlife. Beware of the trick road near Copeland. It was paved with about 3/4 miles of unpaved that went back to paved without warning.

1 comment:

linda jean said...

It was a lonely trip and a lonely post.