Sunday, July 08, 2007

just a little blog where old friends meet

This weekend someone told me I reminded them of someone they used to know and it was bugging the heck out of them until they realized that I reminded them of me. We were at K-State the same time and must have seen each other around. It's funny to imagine being seen at 20 years old ordering a latte wearing my "Kill Your Television" t-shirt and whispering "full fathom five the father lies" over and over again just because it felt so nice in my mouth. The people that were around me in the coffee shop were a backdrop to my world and even more like scenery since I was so shy and doing most of my living internally-- in many ways I was surprised to find out that anyone outside my good friends and "social" circles would have noticed me at all. That girl is still me, it's just nice that other people get to meet her now.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

That's cool! And pretty amazing if it was a one-time meeting.

When I went to a conference last summer in Denver, I saw a girl that I recognized from somewhere, and I kept staring at her because it was driving me crazy trying to remember where I used to know her from. I assumed it was a Colorado connection but suddenly had an image of her arguing with the teacher in my family studies/sociology discussion group at K-State. I think she recognized me, too, and I was going to go talk to her afterward but lost my nerve, introvert that I am.

I'm sure there are lots of people I took classes with that I wouldn't recognize if I saw them now. The reason she made an impression was because she was so loud and obnoxious--and that was also one of the worst classes I ever had to take, in part because of the jerk GTA who taught it. I didn't like the girl and usually disagreed with her, but I appreciated her boldness in telling the teacher when she thought he was full of it.

linda jean said...

They didn't tell me what the context of the memory was. I hope that no one saw me crying every time I left Prof. Dees's office.

malh said...

I kind of know this one guy who used to go up to familiar but rough looking people and asked them if they had ever been in prison together....