Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thoughts on linking, etc.

Sharing links is kind of a funny thing. I'm showing you what someone else did so that you can see something that were you interested in the same things as me you would already find. That said, I click on lots of people's links because, I don't come across the same things that they do because I don't follow their web paths during the day.

Ok, so here's the link that I want to share. It's a graphic novelist's rendering of a Kenneth Patchen poem. I can't express the happiness of a day where I accidentally get to read a favorite poet's poem especially in this context. It reminds me of William Blake's "Songs of Innocence and Experience". Also, I noticed today after reading all of his poems available on this website that he uses the word "cave" in other places inexplicably. I think writers sometimes have words or phrases that they use that work for a reader, but also have a deeper meaning for the writer himself. I love referring to "my december heart" because I know that I was born in December but for an unknowing reader it conjers images of a family holiday or bitter cold. Either way it works.
A friend and I experimented with an art project known as altered books. This isn't really my favorite page, but I figured my friend hadn't seen this page so it would be the one that I share-- also the children are looking in a cave. The idea is to create an art in a book using what's in the book that you like and adding whatever you want to it. It takes some convincing to get started on destroying a book like this, but I've read through most of this one while working on it. It's a discard and I'm confident that it was well read in it's former life. It seemed to go along with the link that I wanted to share and gives me some ideas about other things.

7 comments:

betsyann said...

Neat link! And I can't wait to see the rest of the book.

linda jean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
linda jean said...

the book is silly, but I'm enjoying it. Did you love the poem? Big themes-- love, God. ambiguities that work on multiple levels-- war (i think that word can be read as warring individuals and warring nations). (Sorry, I'm at work numbing my mind in boring distinctions, it's nice to think about interesting distinctions).

lobiwan said...

I didn't know that someone could so succinctly demonstrate the sub-par nature of their art as Mr. R.R.,Jr. has done by juxtaposing it with such a wonderful poem.

linda jean said...

a little harsh. i thought the drawings were sort of fun.

lobiwan said...

Not harsh enough. I felt embarrassed for him. But maybe its my undying hatred of anything resembling anime. Which really is a backlash against the cartoons on Fox, which is really only present because it is the only channel that has Saturday morning cartoons anymore. So really it reminds me of my lost childhood.

mllr said...

I love the poem and I like how I get to learn about authors and poetic styles that were foreign to me by reading your blog...thanks