Sunday, July 01, 2007

You deserve a break today, or give 'em a brake

I visited two places this weekend and spent about 60 miles driving on dirt roads. I believe I discovered my outer-limt for a day trip alone. I travelled to Mount Sunflower turning at the brown sign pointing west with the number 21. I've driven past this sign numerous time, but a 42 (yeah that did used to say 41, adding isn't really my thing) mile trip to see a spot with a tongue-in-cheek name never seemed like it was worth it. I planned to visit Mount Sunflower second, but as I was driving by the sign I decided to go now. I may have been inspired by the 10 pronghorn I saw just before I got to the turn.
The second stop was the Arikaree Breaks (the sign is for people like me who keep wanting to call it things like the Harry Caray breaks) which are a possible selection for the 8 wonders of Kansas. This is another place I had never been that I suspect most people haven't visited. I've known about it because my dad and little brothers have been up there. (Ranger wrecked a car near the breaks. The roads are extremely sandy). Like the Cimarron Grasslands, I feel obliged now that I've been to suggest that you consider this spot for one of your 8. It's a wonder and a surprise.



PS There's a poem you should be working on.



6 comments:

Shauna said...

I've been to the Breaks on the way home before.

betsyann said...

Pronghorn! Did they race you?

Mount Sunflower looks completely different than what I had pictured in my head. I think I like it even better now.

linda jean said...

fortunately the pronghorn did not race me. without a fence they are super-fast... no offense to our beloved "Fasty" in the zoo.

mllr said...

Is Fasty still there? Good times!

linda jean said...

Pronghorn disguise their identities by being identical, but there was a pronghorn ready to race last time I was at the zoo.

Ben said...

perhaps they are one pronghorn and a bunch of clones...