Thursday, June 28, 2007

'k y'all, it's a ghazal

We haven't made a poem for a long, long time. I came across a ghazal a few months ago and thought that it might be a form we could try here. It's fun because it's unrelated couplets with a uniting theme. The form reminded me of the Thanksgiving haikus.

It took me some time to figure this one out, but the beginning stanza requires the refrain repeat in lines one and two of the couplet along with the "rhyming" word. The couplets should stand on their own and be able to be taken out of context and understood, but the couplets should also thematically tie together. So I started with the first two couplets.

You should follow the pattern of the second couplet. Your second line should contain a word that rhymes with "you" and "grew" followed by the refrain "more than me". (I would ask that you attempt to make you couplets of similar length to the first two, though it's not absolutely required). I did a poor job developing a theme, but it'll be more fun that way-- you know developing one together as we go along.

Please finish the poem through comments. (it's just two lines. it'll be easy. it will make linda jean happyish).

My memory is a sieve. So if you lied, said "you knew more than me"
Even though I thought it untrue, I'd believe you knew more than me.

In a dream through a window I showed Martha Stewart the snow peas
Blooming and vining nearby because it seemed she grew more than me.

4 comments:

mllr said...

Procrastination leaves things undone and time is money even though I can't immortalize it

Still, I can't help wondering about posterity. Will it matter if you do more than me?

lobiwan said...

Chunks of onions, tomatoes, celery: Yucky!
And that's why prob'ly everyone likes stew more than me.

betsyann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
betsyann said...

A place to play poet is nice,

but it seems to suit you more than me.