Monday, June 04, 2007

This pump nearly brought me to tears

Afterwards I wanted to fill my water bottle. I tried to pump it for a long time and was completely defeated. I needed to be taller or heavier. This pump defeated me.
My water supply was replenished with two swallows. I was cranky. I left this place and headed to road 600 where another trail was located and the recreation park. At the recreation park I found about 100 people. It was so surprising after spending the first few hours only seeing park staff and ranchers. There are a few little ponds and the Cimarron River. I didn't really go and investigate very closely, but it looked like the folks were mostly fishing. I saw someone drive down with jet skis, which seemed excessive, but maybe there was more than I could see. I walked a little beside the river and saw a lot of snake tracks. I hadn't even thought about snakes really. My Dad expressed relief that I hadn't been bitten while I was there. I made an extra stop on my way home(Wagon Bed Springs) and heard a story about a doctor who died after getting bit by a snake near the Cimarron River. I should have been a bit more aware of the possibility is all.

No comments: