Monday, June 04, 2007

Santa Fe Trail Companion Trail

On of the marked hiking trails at the park is a Santa Fe Trail Companion Trail (catchy!) Alas, on the trail the post rocks I encountered were confusing because the marker sign you see here was completely worn off. There was a map at the beginning of the trail that sent you in the general direction, and though I suspected the random post were probably significant I was never sure that I was actually on a "trail". I remembered what was written in the trail log book by the last person who had signed before me: "GOOD LUCK!"
I followed tracks like this on a few occasions only to have them lead me to oil wells. I was confused often. The trail is pretty long and I didn't come close to even taking a chunk out of it.
I will call this the whiny part of my trip. I was definitely in need of a companion for this stretch to keep me motivated about hiking and also to listen to me whine. As it was I reached a stagnant, mosquito laden pool near a windmill and turned back. If you choose this hike bring someone with you. I know that it gets better based on the other post rocks that I saw. The portion I hiked wasn't bad either, it's just I wanted to see more of what I had seen on the drive getting here. I did see a white-tail deer that would stop to watch me when I would stop to watch her. I don't think I'd ever seen one in the wild because if I had, I'm pretty sure that I would remember. They are beautiful. Also, it is amazing that you are walking along the Santa Fe Trail, but as it was with me in school when I studied history, I need to be reminded to appreciate things.

2 comments:

mllr said...

I want to hike with you and listen to you whine

linda jean said...

I am very annoying, a good companion. We should plan something this summer. I'll be extra whiny if it's really hot.